Brown Center for Students of Color
Our Strategic Plan
Strategic Planning Committee Charge
In 2013, the Center's Strategic Planning Committee was charged with:
- Developing a vision and mission statement for the Center that places the agency and empowerment of students of color as the primary emphasis of its work.
- Devising a five-year strategic plan focused on critical reflection and informed action, leadership development, and social justice education for students of color and their allies.
- Recommending a new name for the Center to President Paxson that reflects the spirit and legacy of student activism among communities of color.
Final Report and Recommendations
After completing their charge, the Committee submitted their final report and recommendations to the Campus Life Committee of the Brown University Corporation for feedback and to President Paxson for final approval.
On September 10, 2014, Professor Campbell, Vice President Klawunn, and Dean Mandel announced that President Paxson accepted the Committee’s report and recommendations. President Paxson also affirmed the role and work of Brown Center for Students of Color by investing in much-needed facilities improvements.
Strategic Planning Committee
- Andrew Campbell, Associate Professor of Medical Science
- Margaret Klawunn, Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services
- Mary Grace Almandrez, Director and Assistant Dean of the College
- Liza Cariaga-Lo, Associate Provost for Academic Development and Diversity
- Chris Dennis, Deputy Dean of the College
- Hisa Hashisaka ’14, Student
- Afia Kwakwa ’14, Student
- Jacinta Lomba ’17, Student
- Ken McDaniel ’69, P’13, Alumni Representative
- MaryLou McMillan ’85, Sr. Director for Planning and Student Engagement
- Rolland Murray, Professor
- Angie Ocampo ’15, Student
- Floripa Olguin ’16, Student
- Hector Peralta ’16, Student